Integrated module „Relief“ for converting into stl. files / 2D into 3D, etc.
The attached module „Relief“ for Windows 32Bit is an independent CAM solution to process 3D formats of photos, STL, digital data or relief. The programme converts picture and form data into 3D relief, and within a few mouse clicks it produces high-quality milling data for almost all 3- and 4-axis working machines. A navigator navigates you step by step. The programme is flexible, not dependent on any specific machine and complete with an integrated output support for many machines.
Picture data (photo) processing
ConstrucCAM-3D CAD CAM is able to convert photos from BMP, JPG, GIF, PCX formats into reliefs. The grey scale information of each picture is transferred into 3D-coordinates. The items can be scales, turned, filtered, etc.
ConstruCAM-3D CAD CAM is the only programme with an integrated milling offset calculation. Don’t get cheated by simple programmes which only convert grey scales of pictures into milling depth, or that have a simple, slow and erroneous calculation programme.
Advantages of the milling offset calculation:
- Pre-milling and smoothing possible, especially for processing big components.
- Milling of difficult material (steel, ductile plastics, etc.) with big tool radius.
- No over-milling of components due to false tools.
Limitations of photo-relief engraving
Please note that common photos cannot be made into reliefs. Especially with portraits (photos of faces) it is difficult to gain a good milling result. With light shining in from the side it is definitely impossible. Only with well-chosen photos or rather those that have been reworked by means of a photo styler, reasonably good results can be achieved. In order to cover these problems, some providers published examples with hardly any milling depth. These errors do not catch someone’s eye so easily.
However, for some stylised items (i.e. emblems) some very good results can be reached by means of photo engraving. There is no guideline for depth of i.e. the colours red and green. Thus at least the optical effect is displayed through the engraving. That does not mean that an experienced relief engraver would devise the emblem in that way.
STL and DXF files via CAD CAM
ConstruCAM-3D CAD CAM supports the two most spread 3D formats STL surfaces and DXF-3D-Face. These two formats guarantee compatibility with almost any CAD programme. After importing the data, the items can be scaled, turned, filtered.ConstruCAM-3D eliminates unwanted undercuts and filters gaps found in the data.
Digital 3D forms can be read in i.e. by the wide spread formats STL + DXF-3D-Face. If desired, further formats can be inserted according to description.
CAD + Design:
- Import: photos (BMP, JPG, GIF, PCX) STL (ASCII + binary), DXF-3D-Face, relief (HRP, HRL, RLF).
- Filter functions incl. gap filter.
- Editing functions.
- Navigator for easy operation.
- Complete programme support (online aid).
CAM + Milling data export:
- Tool administration and tool library with tool geometry and technology data.
- High-quality and fast tool offset calculation with idle definable milling paths for several tools at the same time.
- Definition of depth of cut by means of adjustable layer technique and 3D starting strategy.
- Several milling paths: milling/lines horizontal, vertical, in angles. Circuit twist, rectangle twist, milling/lines rotary in circuit/rectangle …
- 3D milling data view
- Export aid with milling repetition, export ex bench mark. The integrated milling path simulation allows to re-establish the control of NC milling data with 3D milling data view, volume view, etc.
- Export: DIN/ISO (free version; export only possible to WIN PCNC) / Isel-NCP / HP-GL3D /LG1.
- Data export via DIN/ISO export filter (more than 90 idioms included in standard delivery).
- 3-axis processing with almost all milling centres (DIN/ISO).
- 4-axis cylinder engraving with DIN/ISO.
With the module „Relief“ you can also generate wonderful lithophany pictures on translucid material. Illuminated from the front, the milling results only show a relief scenery. However, if back-lighted it will reveal the full beauty of a grey scale photo.
Finest structures can be seen on the engraving pictures as visible on the actual photo. Centuries ago this technique had already been used in the china manufacture, etc. These processes were very expensive and time-consuming; today a china lithopane is hardly affordable.
With ContruCAM-3D CAD CAM this can be done professionally and in high quality.